One of the best ways to get customers is to make sure your website is being organically found on Google searches. SEO goes a long way to getting new customers! The better your website is according to Google’s algorithm the more likely your business will be found. So what are some things Google looks at when deciding to show your site or not? Quite a lot actually! But here is a simplified list for you to consider.
- Keywords are, putting it very simply, the words or phrases people might use to find services. Knowing the keywords that are relevant for your business and using them on your website is vital to being found on Google. You want to make sure you’re using them, and their variants (other ways that the same thing could be worded) frequently. They should be in your content, your titles, and your tags. You also want to make sure your keywords in relevant. If your plumber you don’t want to use keywords that would apply to a landscaping company better. Google looks for how accurate your website is to the keywords that you use.
- Content is the text, images, videos and anything else that fills up your website. Blogs, pages and text should backup the keywords your using. The content should substantial, as in it should be informative and there should be plenty of it. You also want to make sure you keep your content fresh. Older domains are stronger than newer domains, but old content isn’t better than new material. This could mean adding new photos, updating information, adding a new blog post – anything is better than leaving your website the same for a long time.
Slicks' digital marketing service includes content creating!
We can help you keep your website fresh with new content!
- There are two types of links that are crucial to SEO ranking: backlinks and internal links. Backlinks are when other websites link back to your site, similar to a shout out on social media or references in research presentation. Internal links are when you link your other pages within your own site. Backlinks are made over time and it helps to have substantial content so that others will want to link back to your site. Internal links make your site easier to navigate; Google cares a lot about how easy your site is to use. The easier it is for visitors to find things on your site the better. Internal linking can also increase how long people are staying on your site, which is always a good thing because Google looks at how long people stay as well.
- If your website takes a while to load, then not only are visitors going to skip it but Google isn’t going to be happy either. Speed can be affected by content, coding, and web hosting providers (see our blog post on it for more details). All of these factors can be complicated to keep up with as you add more and more content. There are plugins that can help by smushing, cleaning and preloading elements of your page and help it run faster. For more information on web hosting providers and their effect on speed, read our blog on the topic!
Intimidated by managing your website?
Slicks' website marketing can handle it for you!
- Contact Information
- Having a contact page is always important to have, but so is having contact info on other pages too. Google looks at visitor’s ability to readily find that info and be able to reach you. So make sure you provide contact info clearly. make sure it’s up-to-date and linked properly. It is a simple but effective way to improve your SEO.
- Social Media
- You want to make sure your site and business social media accounts are connected. Things such as likes, follows or retweets are counted by Google so make sure you keep your pages alive with activity. Youtube can also be a valuable key. Since Google owns Youtube, it can be biased to favor sites with Youtube on it. It contributes to content and links as well, so feel free to use images and videos freely.
The list of what factor’s into Google’s algorithm goes on, there is a lot to look into. Our list went over some of the biggest factors and it is a lot of work, but it is hard work that will be worth it when you start to gain more customers. The great news is that you stuck figuring out your digital marketing on your own! When it comes to managing your website and it’s SEO, your not alone! From optimizing your domain to creating content, Slicks Graphics can take the stress off your shoulders. Our website marketing agency is dedicated to getting you found on Google. Contact us today and see how we can help your site today!